Bacon & Mushroom Boat Noodles
- 6 oz fresh boat (rice) noodles
- 6 slices Smithfield Bacon, cooked and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup Bacon-Fat Mushrooms (recipe follows)
- 6 cups Boat Noodle Broth (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- 1 Tbsp crispy fried garlic
- 1 tsp chili oil
Boat Noodle Broth
- ½ cup canola oil
- 6 slices Smithfield Bacon, cut into strips
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp julienned ginger
- ½ Tbsp sliced garlic
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 allspices
- 2 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Thai chiles, sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 cups rich beef stock
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp bacon fat
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- Bring pot of lightly salted water to boil for rice noodles.
- Use pasta basket or strainer to dip rice noodles in hot water to cook them. (Work in individual orders, as they are hard to separate once cooked.)
- Place 1 ounce cooked noodles, 1 slice bacon and 1/6 cup Bacon-Fat Mushrooms in each bowl.
- Fill each bowl with 6-7 ounces of hot broth.
- Top with sliced shallots, crispy fried garlic and chili oil divided evenly.
Boat Noodle Broth:
- In nonreactive pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat; add bacon, onions, ginger, garlic and sugar, and cook until dark in color and well caramelized.
- While aromatics and bacon are caramelizing, toast and grind together all spices except cinnamon.
- Add ground spices to pot, along with Thai chile and cinnamon stick, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and red wine, and bring to simmer.
- Add beef stock and fish sauce, bring to simmer, then cut heat, and let steep for 2O minutes.
- Season with salt.
- In nonreactive pot over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms and garlic in bacon fat until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.