New Orleans-Style Red Beans & Rice with Ham
- 1 ½ pounds dried red kidney beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 1 green pepper, medium diced
- 3 stalks celery, medium diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups ale or other amber beer of your liking
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoons Cajun style seasoning
- ¾ pound Carver Ham, large diced
- ½ pound andouille sausage, large diced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Steamed white rice
- Garlic chips
Salt to taste
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
1. Soak red beans overnight in a large pot, covered in water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add in onions, peppers, celery and garlic. Cook approximately 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add in water, ale and seasonings and increase heat till simmering. Reduce heat to medium and simmer slowly for 2.5 hours.
4. Add ham and andouille sausage and simmer for an additional hour.
5. Add in hot sauce and adjust salt to taste.
6. Serve on top of a bed of steamed white rice and garnished with crispy garlic chips.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.