Bacon & Apple Fritters
- 1 qt. vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup coarse cornmeal
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 and ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 6 slices Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 and ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into small dice
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-low heat until deep-fry thermometer inserted in oil registers 340°F.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, cooked crumbled bacon, cinnamon and salt.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs, and then add milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Gently fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not overmix).
- Fold in apples, adding enough to make a very chunky batter.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into hot oil, 6 to 8 at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Cover generously with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.