Chicken Fried Ham with Ham Gravy
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp minced Italian parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup milk
- 8 thick slices Smithfield Boneless Ham
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Ham Gravy (recipe follows)
- 1 cup Smithfield Boneless Ham, diced
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cayenne
Product:Smithfield Boneless Ham
- In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Set up breading station with a bowl of flour, a bowl of eggs and milk, and the bowl of seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle both sides of ham steak with salt and pepper; then place in flour to coat. Place meat in egg/milk mixture to coat. Finally, place in bread crumbs and coat. Place meat on clean plate, and repeat.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Cook meat until golden brown, 2 minutes each side. Remove meat to paper towel–lined plate and keep warm. Repeat.
- Serve chicken fried ham with gravy.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet with butter, and heat. Add diced ham and sauté until brown. Add onions and garlic, and continue until soft.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over hot pan. Using whisk, mix flour with oil, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until roux reaches a deep golden-brown color.
- Pour in milk, whisking constantly. Add salt, lemon juice and cayenne, to taste, and cook, whisking, until gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes.
* This recipe was created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to Smithfield Culinary.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.