Sausage, Egg and Cheese Bao Bun
- 12 oz Bao Dough (recipe follows)
- 9 oz Smithfield Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 6 oz Cheesy Omelet (recipe follows)
- 12 slices jalapeño
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup warm milk
- ½ tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 oz shortening
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 oz shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat steamer for cooking bao bun.
- Separate dough balls into 1.5-ounce portions.
- Roll each ball into thin disk.
- In center of each disk, place 1.5-ounce portion of sausage roll.
- Top sausage with piece of Cheesy Omelet and 2 slices jalapeño.
- Twist sides of dough up around filling and twist it into a point on top to seal it.
- Place sealed bun dough into cook for 15 minutes.
- In nonstick pan, preheat canola oil over medium heat.
- Fry bottoms of steamed bao buns in canola oil until golden brown. Serve hot and crispy.
- Warm together milk, yeast and sugar, but keep below 90•F.
- Once yeast begins to show signs of activity, fold in remaining ingredients, and mix until dough forms.
- Cover and let set in warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, and salt.
- Warm butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggs, and gently cook until barely set; then top with cheese, and reserve warm.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.