Asian Meatballs with Rice Cakes
- 1 cup medium grain white rice
- Korean BBQ Sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 Packages Smithfield™ Italian Meatballs
- 1 bunch parsley, minced
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- carrots, uncooked, julienned for garnish
- green onion, julienned for garnish
- sesame seeds, for garnish
Korean BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, prepare Korean BBQ Sauce.
- Stir soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, chile-garlic sauce, ginger, sesame oil and black pepper together in saucepan; bring to boil.
- Whisk cornstarch and water together in small bowl until cornstarch dissolves; pour into boiling soy sauce mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until sauce is thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat meatballs according to package directions. Add Korean BBQ sauce, and simmer on low until ready to plate.
- After rice is done cooking, but still warm, pack firmly into a 3 ½-inch pastry ring to form rice cake; remove from ring and set aside. Heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry rice cakes on each side until crispy, approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place 1 rice cake on serving plate, and top with 4 meatballs. Drizzle a bit of extra sauce over cake and garnish with carrots, green onions and sesame seeds.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.