BBQ Belly Cornbread Fritters Appetizer
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup pomegranate infused red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 (8.5-oz.) can creamed corn
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 lb. Skinless Pork Belly
- 3 Tbsp. BBQ seasoning blend
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- To make pickled onions, combine vinegar, agave nectar, salt and garlic in medium non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in onions. Bring back to a boil; remove pan from heat. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Cut pork belly into thin strips (about 1/4-inch thick). Cut each strip into 3 pieces; coat all sides with BBQ seasoning.
- To make cornbread fritters, combine dry ingredients in medium bowl; make well in center. Add remaining ingredients into well of dry ingredients; stir to combine.
- Heat deep fryer oil to 325°F. Deep fry pork belly strips 2 to 3 minutes until done. Drop fritter batter by tablespoons into oil; fry 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, turning over after 1 minute to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, skewer belly strip on top of fritter. Garnish with pickled onions and barbecue sauce.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.