BBQ Pork Belly on Steamed Buns with Napa Cabbage
- 6 lbs. Skin-On Pork Belly
- ½ cup Korean chili paste “kojujiang”
- 2 oz. Korean fish extract
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 oz. mirin
- 1 head Napa cabbage, cut into fine chiffonade
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sichuan pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Korean ground chiles
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- Salt, as needed
- 1 bunch slide scallions
- 36 steamed Chinese clamshell buns “gua bao”
- Kimchi Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Napa cabbage
- 1 Tbsp. mirin
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Appetizer, Entrée, Sandwich
- Marinate pork belly over night with Korean chili paste, fish extract, ginger, mirin and the Korean and chiles.
- Smoke pork belly at 215° F for 5 hours or until tender. Once done, wrap pork belly in plastic wrap and allow to cool.
- For the Napa cabbage slaw, toss cut cabbage with sugar and salt.
- Fry Sichuan peppers in the vegetable oil until dark brown, add the Korean ground pepper and immediately strain very hot oil into cabbage and mix well.
- Add rice vinegar, sesame oil and sliced scallions, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove skin of pork and slice into ½ inch thick 3 to 4 inch long slices.
- At service, grill sliced smoked pork belly until golden brown. Cook steamed buns on a griddle in small amount of oil until golden brown. Open steamed buns and fill with 1 pork belly slice, 1 Tbsp. cabbage slaw and about 1 to 2 tsp. of kimchi mayonnaise.
- Serve warm.
- Puree cabbage in a blender into very fine puree, and cook it down over medium heat into a thick paste.
- Allow to cool and mix with mayonnaise.
- Adjust sweetness with sugar and mirin.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.