Braised Pork Belly with Roasted Veggies
- 1 (4 – 5lb.) Skinless Pork Belly
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. dry rubbed sage
- 1 Tbsp. crushed rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (750 ml) bottle semi-dry Riesling wine
- 2 to 3 cups apple cider, divided
- 2 lb. assorted root vegetables, cut into chunks (potatoes, beets, fennel, carrots,etc.)
- 6 garlic cloves, shaved
- Using a sharp knife, score fat side of Pork Belly by slicing diagonally about 1 1/2-inches apart. Do not penetrate meat.
- Combine salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and granulated garlic; rub on all sides of pork belly. Place belly on parchment lined sheet pan; cover and refrigerated 24 to 48 hours.
- Heat convection oven to 325°F. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat; add olive oil. Place Pork Belly, fat side down, into skillet. Cook until fat is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes; remove from heat. Save skillet to sauté vegetables.
- Place belly, fat side up, into 12x20x2-inch baking pan. Pour wine over belly. Add 1 to 2 cups apple cider until liquid is halfway up sides of belly in pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and braise in 325°F. oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sauté vegetables and shaved garlic cloves in skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add 1 cup apple cider to deglaze pan; bring to a boil.
- Remove cover from Pork Belly; add vegetables to pan. Return to oven, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes until vegetables are tender and surface of pork belly is slightly crisp.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.