Braised Pork Belly with Housemade Apple Butter
Braised Pork Belly:
- 4 oz dark brown sugar
- 1 oz fennel seed, ground
- 1 1/2 oz rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 oz crushed red pepper, ground
- 1 Smithfield Culinary Fresh Pork Belly, skinned
- 8 fl oz orange juice
- 8 oz mirepoix, coarsely chopped
- Remouillage, as needed
- 1 thyme sprig, whole
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 lbs Fuji apples, peeled and cored
- 1 lb Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground all spice
- 8 oz dark brown sugar
- 8 oz raisins, optional
- For Braised Pork Belly, combine sugar, fennel seed, rosemary and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Season pork belly with salt and pepper on both sides. Then season fat side of belly with season mix.
- Place in a 200 pan, place in a 400°F oven, and sear about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove belly from oven and then the 200 pan, deglaze with orange juice, and then put in mirepoix and place belly on top, fat-side up.
- Pour in as much remouillage as it takes to cover belly 1/3 up its side. Add thyme and place in 300°F oven until very tender, about 2 hours.
- Slice braised pork belly into cubes, and top with apple butter.
- For Apple Butter, mix sliced apples with cinnamon, clove, all spice and brown sugar.
- Fill pot with 1-inch of water, add apple and spice mixture.
- Bring to simmer, cook until soft, and puree.
- Add raisins, pour mixture into 200 pan and place in 300°F oven for 3-5 hours until desired consistency.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.