Chicharrón Pork Belly
- 2-2½ lbs Pork Belly, skin on
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- salt, to taste
- 4-6 cups water
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Prick pork skin, just piercing it and not going into the meat, as many times as possible. Combine pork belly, onions, bay leaves, black peppercorns, cloves and kosher salt in wide and deep cooking pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Turn heat down to medium-low, and let pork simmer for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove belly, brushing off any stuck peppercorns or cloves, and place on rack, skin-side up.
- Let cool at room temperature. Rub pork skin generously with salt.
- Chill pork overnight.
- The next day, brush off any remaining salt.
- Deep-fry for about 10 minutes over low heat until evenly golden.
- Set on wire rack and let cool.
- Flash-fry over heat until crackling.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.