Cuban Croque Madame
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ciabatta, sliced in half
- 4 slices Smithfield Boneless Ham
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 6-8 slices dill pickles
- Soft butter, as needed
- Gruyère Béchamel, warm (recipe follows)
- 1 sunnyside-up egg
- Scallions, sliced
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Appetizer, Entrée
- In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Spread mayonnaise-mustard mixture on both insides of ciabatta, and on bottom half, evenly layer dill pickles, ham and provolone cheese. Top sandwich with top half of ciabatta, and press it down.
- Heat sauté pan to medium, add small amount of butter, and then add sandwich to it. Place another pan on top to keep sandwich pressed, and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until bread is well toasted and crunchy.
- Add more butter as needed, flip sandwich, and cook other side for 5 minutes, or until bread is toasted and crunchy and cheese is melted.
- Remove sandwich, drizzle it with Gruyère Béchamel, and then top it with sunnyside-up egg and sprinkle of scallions.
- In small pot, combine milk and cornstarch, and bring to simmer, whisking.
- Once at simmer, stir in Gruyère cheese and salt, and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in chives, and keep warm until needed.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.