Ham & Cheese Empanadas
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups diced ham
- ¼ cup diced poblano peppers
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 cups precooked white cornmeal
- 3 cups water
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- To make filling, mix cheese, ham, peppers and onions. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add white cornmeal and slowly add water, mixing with your hands to make sure there are no lumps.
- Portion dough into roughly 60-gram balls.
- Roll out each dough ball until flat, and cut with deli pint container to form a circle.
- Put 1 Tbsp. of filling in center of each dough circle.
- Fold dough over, and seal it by pressing pint container over the edge.
- Fry at 350°F until golden brown.
- Remove from fryer, and place on paper towel–lined rack to remove excess oil. Serve hot.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.