Ham & Cheese Scones with Whipped Maple Butter
- 1 lb. all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 12 oz. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 large egg
- 8 oz. buttermilk
- 8 oz. Smithfield Diced Ham
- 1 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, for egg wash
- Smoked Maldon salt, to taste
- Whipped Maple Butter (recipe follows)
Whipped Maple Butter
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 oz. maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and nutmeg with whisk until well distributed.
- Add cold butter, and use either a pastry cutter or your hands to cut into dry ingredients. Butter will be about the size of peas when finished.
- In separate bowl, combine egg and buttermilk with whisk.
- Add to dry ingredients, and gently knead dough together until shaggy. Do not mix in completely.
- Add ham and cheese, and knead again until dough comes together and ingredients are well distributed. Do not overmix.
- Move dough onto lightly floured surface, and divide in 2 dough balls. Form into discs about 1½ inches in height.
- Whisk egg for egg wash with splash of water, and brush over each disc. Sprinkle with smoked Maldon salt.
- Using sharp knife, cut each disc into 6 wedges, and move each of the pieces onto a lined half sheet tray.
- Bake scones for about 25-30 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
- Serve warm with side of Whipped Maple Butter.
Whipped Maple Butter:
- Place butter, maple syrup and pinch of salt into mixer, and beat with paddle until light in color and smooth.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.