- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 fl. oz. water
- 4 oz. Ham
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 6 oz. Gruyère cheese
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch smoked paprika
Whipped Goat Cheese
- 10 oz. goat cheese
- 2 fl. oz. heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, micro planed
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chervil, chopped
Heirloom Tomato and Arugula
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, ¼ inch thick wedges
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon aged balsamic
- 1 cup arugula
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Appetizer, Sandwich
- For Ham Gougères, place butter, water, ham, and salt in sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Strain the ham and return liquid to sauce pot. Chop ham and set aside.
- Add flour to liquid and mix until a dough is formed and moves cleanly away from sides of pan.
- Place mixture in a mixer and place on speed 4 using the paddle attachment.
- Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Add cheese, ham, nutmeg, and paprika; mix until fully incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place mixture in piping bag. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and pipe 40 gougères. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- For whipped goat cheese, place goat cheese in mixer with paddle attachment. Place on low and slowly add cream. Whip until mixture comes together and fold in remaining ingredients. Place mixture in a piping bag.
- To serve, cut each gougère almost in half, leaving one side connected. Pipe .5 ounces whipped goat cheese into each gougère. Season tomato with salt and balsamic and place 1 slice on each gougère, topping with ham and arugula.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.