- 2 slices of Smoked Bacon, diced
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 grated green apple
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 2 large onions
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 juniper berries
- 1 lb Roasted & Seared Pork Shoulder
- 1 lb Applewood Smoked Ham, diced
- 1 lb Boneless Pork Chops
- 2 cups beer or white wine, preferably a Riesling
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Favorite type of mustard for serving
- Nice bread, for serving
Product:Bacon, Ham, Pork Chops, Pork Shoulder
- Heat the oven to 300° F.
- Place large roasting pan in oven with bacon. Once bacon renders its grease, core the cabbage and cut it into wide ribbons and scatter in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Drain the sauerkraut and spread it on top of the cabbage.
- Add the carrots and the apples. Halve the onions and nestle them among the vegetables.
- Tuck in the bay leaves and sprinkle with the caraway juniper berries and pepper.
- Put the meat and sausages on top of everything and pour in the wine or other liquid.
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and cover tightly with foil.
- Transfer to the oven and cook, undisturbed, for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven up to 400° F. Leave the pan uncovered and return it to the oven until the meat and the vegetables brown a bit, another 25 to 30 minutes.
- To serve, remove the bay leaf, set the pan on the table with a serving spoon and plates.
- Serve with mustard and nice bread.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.