Smithfield Ham Hummingbird Cupcakes
- 180g Smithfield Ham Fat
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 14 oz banana
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz crushed pineapple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Piña Colada Frosting Ingredients
- 4 oz Smithfield Ham fat
- 15 oz softened butter
- 18 oz powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut flavor
- 1 tsp rum flavor
- 1 tsp pineapple flavor
Pineapple-Rum Compote Ingredients
- 6 oz diced pineapple
- 1 oz rum
- 2 oz brown sugar
- ½ oz vanilla bean paste
- Edible flowers or microgreens, for garnish
Rendered Ham Fat Ingredients
- 4 lbs Smithfield Ham fatty trimmings
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch, Special Occasion
Hummingbird Cupcakes Preparation
- Set up tabletop mixer with fitted bowl and paddle attachment. Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Cream together Ham Fat and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well, scraping sides of bowl.
- Add banana. Mix until combined.
- Add all dry ingredients; mix well.
- Add crushed pineapple and chopped pecans.
- Using 2-ounce scoop, place batter in cupcake liners, and bake at 325°F for roughly 22 minutes, and then check. (They are ready when inserted toothpick comes out clean.)
Piña Colada Frosting Preparation
- Using stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together softened butter, Ham Fat and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add extract and flavors.
- Place frosting in piping bag with medium-sized star tip. Pipe rosette-style on each cupcake.
Pineapple-Rum Compote Preparation
- Mix all ingredients together. Torch melon baller, and press divot into center of piped frosting. Using spoon or piping bag, gently fill divot with Pineapple-Rum Compote. Garnish with edible flowers and/or microgreens.
Rendered Ham Fat Preparation
- Add ham fatty trimmings to pot, and add enough water to cover them.
- Cook on low heat for approximately 8 hours until all fat has melted.
- Strain rendered fat from lard and ham/broth mixture using fine sieve to get all large pieces out.
- Switch to large coffee filter, and continue to strain the mixture into jar; allow to cool.
- Separate lard from top layer, and use in above preparations.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.