Smoked Pork Belly Tacos
- 1 (4- to 5-lb.) Skinless Pork Belly
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee grinds
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chile powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Mexican Slaw Topping
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
- 6 oz. shredded cabbage
- 8 small radishes, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 20 corn tortillas, warmed
- Cotija cheese
Dish Type:Appetizer, Entrée, Sandwich
- Using a sharp knife, score fat side of pork belly by slicing diagonally about 1 1/2-inches apart. Do not penetrate meat.
- Combine all coffee-chile rub ingredients together in bowl. Season all sides of pork belly with 1/2 cup rub. Store remaining rub for additional uses. Place belly on parchment lined sheet pan; cover and refrigerated 24 hours.
- Smoke pork belly using hickory wood at 225°F. for 5 hours until very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat charbroiler grill. Remove rind and core from pineapple; cut pineapple into 4 pieces. Roast pineapple on charbroiler until grill marks are visible on all sides. Chop roasted pineapple into small pieces; place on paper towels to drain excess juice.
- Combine drained pineapple with all remaining Mexican slaw ingredients except tortillas and cheese; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To serve, slice smoked pork belly into thin strips. Place on warm tortilla with slaw and cotija cheese. Fold in half to serve.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.