Bacon, Egg and Goat Cheese Strudel with Herbed Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ pound Bacon, cut into 1“pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese
- 1 box phyllo dough, defrosted and at room temperature
- ½ pound butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 oz. Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut into halves (or quarters if very large)
- 2 oz. white wine vinegar
- 4 oz. olive oil
- ½ cup sliced flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup sliced tarragon
- ½ cup sliced chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a 10” non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Sauté bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat and return to pan.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs until light and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat bacon fat over medium heat and add the green onions. Sauté until tender and add the eggs. Gently scramble the eggs with the onions until cooked but still moist. Add crumbled goat cheese and reserved crisp bacon, transfer mixture to a half pan and set aside to cool.
- Unfold and lay phyllo dough on work surface, covered with a piece of plastic wrap and a damp towel, along with the melted butter and a pastry brush. In a small bowl mix the breadcrumbs with the Pecorino and place it near the butter.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper (12” x 18”) in front of you and place 1 sheet of phyllo on the parchment. Brush the phyllo lightly, but completely with the butter. Sprinkle with one third of the breadcrumbs mixture. Cover the phyllo with a second sheet and repeat the buttering and sprinkling of breadcrumbs. Lay the third sheet of phyllo on top and butter and sprinkle that sheet.
- Spoon the bacon and egg mixture along one long side of the phyllo, leaving 1” border on all sides. Lift edge of phyllo and pull it over the bacon mixture. Roll phyllo into a strudel shape. Brush last edge with butter and roll strudel over the seam. Place strudel seam-side down on a baking sheet. Brush strudel with butter and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Slash top of phyllo to divide into 4 portions. Do not cut all the way through. Bake until golden brown and heated through, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the cherry tomatoes with the vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead and refrigerated, covered.
- Gently mix herbs with the cherry tomatoes.
- Slice strudel into portions and serve with the cherry tomato relish.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.