Heirloom Carrots Glazed with Date and Smithfield Bacon Syrup
- 8 oz Smithfield Bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 bunch heirloom baby carrots with tops
- Salt, as needed
- 1 small package, whole dried date
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz sherry vinegar
- 4 oz date molasses
- 2 oz blue cheese crumbles
- Black pepper, to taste
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Side Dish, Soup/Salad
- Place pot of water on stove, and salt it well; bring to rapid boil.
- Separate carrots from tops, and peel gently with peeler to remove outer skin; save tops.
- Place carrots in boiling water, and blanch for 3 minutes or until al dente but not mushy; place on flat surface to rest until room temperature.
- In sauté pan, place lardons of bacon with 2 tablespoons water, and turn on high heat to evaporate water and start rendering bacon.
- When bacon is rendered and crispy, remove it, leaving fat in pan.
- Remove pits from dates by opening them up flat. Place carrot in each date, and roll back up.
- Place carrots/dates in sauté pan with bacon fat to get a little color on them.
- Deglaze pan with sherry vinegar, and add date molasses. Reduce until sticky.
- Plate, garnishing with tops from carrots and blue cheese crumbles.
- Add black pepper to taste.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.