Bacon Gruyere Mac-n-Cheese
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 1/2 lb. Apple Cider Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 4 cups (1 lb.) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (8 oz.)sharp white Cheddar cheese,shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (8 oz.) asiago cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
TIP: Swiss cheese can be substituted for Gruyere for a milder flavor and less expensive dish.
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Entrée, Side Dish
- Heat convection oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cook bacon until crisp; drain.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Gruyere and Cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and about 3/4 of the bacon. Mix until cheeses are melted and well combined. Pour into greased 1/2 hotel pan (or 13x9x2-inch baking dish).
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Combine with asiago cheese, bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 bacon; mix well. Sprinkle over surface of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F. for 20 minutes until surface is browned and bubbly.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.