Bacon & Horta Pita
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 4 slices uncured Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, shaved
- 2 cups chopped dandelion greens, loosely packed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 whole eggs slightly beaten
- 2 oz. Graviera cheese, shredded
- 1 large pocket pita
DetailsBacon brands offered: Armour by Smithfield, Patrick Cudahy, John Morrell, Farmland, Smithfield Culinary Log Smoked Bacon
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- Cut lemon in half and reserve half for later.
- Spread sugar evenly on lemon half.
- Brulé with torch, or heat sauté pan over high heat, and when pan is extremely hot, add lemon sugar-side down and caramelize for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Remove lemon from pan and reserve to serve alongside pita.
- In separate sauté pan over medium heat, render bacon until slightly crispy.
- Add garlic and sweat for 15 to 20 seconds over medium heat.
- Add dandelion greens and cook until they just begin to wilt.
- Add juice from other half of lemon to greens and season with salt and pepper.
- In separate pan over medium heat, begin cooking eggs in extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When eggs are almost finished, remove from heat and fold in Graviera cheese.
- Warm pita in oven slightly until it’s soft.
- Open pita pocket, add eggs, and then sautéed dandelion greens and bacon.
- Wrap pita.
- Cut in half and serve on plate with caramelized lemon.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.