Country Fried Pork & Waffles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red sweet peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Flat Iron Pork steaks, sliced into 1/2” cross-wise slices
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, cooled
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
Product:Pork Flat Iron
Meal Course:Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
- For the relish: heat a 10” skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Sauté mushrooms until tender and golden brown. Add onions and sauté until wilted. Stir in peppers and rosemary. Raise heat to high.
- Add vinegar and bring to a boil, reduce to glaze. Stir in sugar to melt and caramelize. Season with salt and pepper and reserve at room temperature.
- For the pork: In a half pan whisk together the buttermilk and the hot sauce. Lay the pork steaks in the buttermilk, making sure all meat is covered and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- In a second half pan whisk together the flour, cornmeal, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200 F
- Lift the pork from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour mixture. Discard the buttermilk.
- In a large sauté pan with 3” sides heat the oil to 350 F. Add the pork steaks a few at a time and fry until crisp and golden on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Set pork on rack over a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven while you prepare remaining pork.
- For the waffles: in a large bowl whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla, butter and milk.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, mixing lightly. Mixture will be lumpy with pockets of wet and dry ingredients.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into batter. Do not over mix.
- Bake waffles in waffle iron; keep warm in oven preheated to 200° F if necessary.
- Serve 2 pork slices on top of a waffle, spoon ¼ cup mushrooms on top.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.