Creamy Cheesy Pepperoni Grits
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cremini mushrooms, quartered
- Pinch salt
- 8 oz sliced Pepperoni
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring milk to simmer in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir in salt.
- Slowly add grits, stirring constantly.
- When grits begin to thicken, turn heat down to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent grits from scorching. Grits should be soft and creamy.
- Add cheese, butter and cream, stirring to incorporate thoroughly, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pepper.
- Serve grits immediately, or keep them warm, covered, in double boiler over simmering water.
- For Grit Toppings, heat olive oil in medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add cremini mushrooms. Sprinkle with pinch of salt, and stir with wooden spoon until mushrooms start to release their moisture, about 2-3 minutes.
- Increase heat to reduce the juices and they begin to caramelize.
- Add pepperoni, and cook until warmed through. Drain on paper towel.
- Spoon layer of cheesy grits on serving dish or individual plates or bowls. Top with warm pepperoni and mushrooms, olives, tomato and parsley.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.