Hard Cider-Braised Center Cut Pork Chops, Caramelized Macintosh Apples & Balsamic-Glazed Onions
- 4 Bone-In Center Cut Pork Chops
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 to 3 Macintosh apples; cored, seeded and wedged
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 oz. balsamic vinegar
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut julienne
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- Chopped parsley
Hard Cider Brine
- 3 cups cold hard apple cider, divided (heat 1 cup to simmer)
- ¼ cup coarse kosher salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns
- Brine the pork chops: Bring 1 cup of the hard apple cider to a slow rolling boil; add the salt, sugar, pepper, and optional flavorings, and stir to dissolve all.
- In a non-reactive container, add the hard cider solution and add 2 more cups of chilled hard cider to bring the temperature of the brine down to room temperature.
- Place chops in container and pour the hard cider brine over top. The brine should cover the chops, if not; add additional apple cider and salt (1 cup water to 1 tablespoon salt) until the chops are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, pre-heat Grill or Char broiler.
- Heat the oven to 400° F. and place cast iron skillet in oven to warm.
- Remove the chops from the brine; pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub with olive oil, and re-season. Score chops on the grill or char broiler, making diamond shape score marks.
- Remove chops from char broiler onto a sizzle pan and place in pre-heated hot oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until internal temp reaches 145° F.
- Heat a non-stick skillet and add a few drops of olive oil. Add julienne onions and sauté until golden brown. Remove onions to a sizzle pan.
- Add the apple wedges to the pan and sauté on medium high until they reach golden brown.
- Rest the chops. Transfer the cooked pork chops to a sizzle plate and keep warm until plating. Add a little Balsamic vinegar to pan juices, reduce by half, swirl in a pat or two of butter and finish with fresh chopped parsley and scallions.
- Plate the chops and mound with caramelized onions and sautéed apples Pour over pan juices and garnish generously with chopped scallions.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.