NY BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders with Bacon Mac-n-Cheese
- 1 part white distilled vinegar
- 1 part sugar
- 1 part apple juice
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 Pork Butt
- Apple cider, as needed
- BBQ sauce, to taste
- 8 soft rolls
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 lb. Bacon
- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta
- 4 tsp. butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk, warmed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked and shredded Gouda cheese
Product:Bacon, Pork Butt
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- Combine all Injection ingredients and bring to simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine all BBQ Rub ingredients.
- Trim pork, taking care to remove any bone fragments. Leave fat cap of about ¼ inch.
- Season pork with BBQ Rub liberally. Push rub into meat as opposed to rubbing it in.
- Inject meat with prepared mixture liberally.
- Set smoker to 225°F-250°F and smoke uncovered for about 4 to 5 hours; then transfer meat to pan with rack. Pour some of extra injection into pan or just use apple juice. Cover tightly with foil and set back onto smoker or put into oven. It should take around 60 to 75 minutes per pound. To cut time, temperature can be turned up to 275°F when covered.
- Pull meat off when internal temperature reaches 203°F. Let meat rest for 1 hour if possible; then pull apart by hand.
- Finish with small amount of BBQ sauce cut with vinegar just to keep moist.
- Serve on soft rolls with slaw (optional).
- Cut bacon into bits and render, reserving bacon fat, and set aside.
- Cook pasta, drain and rinse.
- Toast breadcrumbs in butter.
- Make a roux using butter and some bacon fat mixed with flour.
- Add warmed milk slowly, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and stir in both cheeses.
- Cook until cheese is melted and sauce thickens a little.
- Add rendered bacon to cheese mixture.
- Put pasta in overproof pan and pour bacon-cheese sauce over it.
- Spread breadcrumbs over mac-n-cheese to cover.
- Bake at 350°F for at least 30 minutes or until done.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.