Pork Cheek Bolognese
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 lb. Cheek Meat, silver skin removed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 slices Hickory Smoked Bacon, finely chopped
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 cup burgundy wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- Pork or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
Product:Bacon, Pork Cheek
- Combine onion, celery, carrots and garlic in food processor bowl; process to coarse paste.
- Brown cheek meat in olive oil in 4-quart stock pot. Remove from pot.
- Cook bacon until done but not crisp. Add onion mixture to bacon; sauté over medium-high heat until moisture has evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato paste; cook until browned. Stir in wine; cook until reduced by half.
- Place browned cheeks into pot with crushed tomatoes. Add enough stock to cover meat. Simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally until pork pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove meat from sauce; pull apart or roughly chop and return to pot. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Serve on pasta or open-faced on thick slices of toasted Italian bread. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan and fresh thyme leaves.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.