Boneless Pork Shoulder Chili Verde Tacos, with Fried Egg and Pickled Red Onions
- Boneless Pork Butt
- 1 cup cumin
- 2 cups red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 3 limes, squeezed
- Tomatillo Salsa (recipe follows)
- Butter, as needed
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 eggs
- Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows)
- 2 lb. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 whole white onions
- 6 cups roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh hot green chiles (jalapeños or serranos) to taste, stemmed
- 8 large garlic cloves
- Salt, to taste
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, thinly sliced
DetailsPork Butt brands offered: Smithfield Fresh Pork
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- Cut pork into large cubes, 2×2 inches.
- Mix all spices and lime juice and rub onto pork.
- Heat heavy-bottomed skillet till very hot, add pork shoulder and brown on all sides.
- Once pork is browned, add Tomatillo Salsa and bring to simmer. Cover and simmer till tender.
- When cooked, remove from heat.
- Fry eggs to medium; set aside.
- On each tortilla add handful of pork shoulder cubes, top with egg and Pickled Red Onions.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Cut all tomatillos in half.
- Peel onions and rough chop.
- Rough Chop Cilantro.
- Toss all ingredients in extra virgin olive oil and add salt to taste.
- Evenly spread ingredients on sheet trays.
- Roast in oven at 350°F for 30 minute or until onions are brown and edges of tomatillo skin have blistered and are soft. If not soft, keep in oven until they are.
- Take out of oven and blend until smooth; if too thick add water to thin out.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cool down. (Will keep for 7 days.)
Pickled Red Onions:
- Thinly slice Red Onions.
- Thinly slice Jalapeño.
- Mix liquids and seasonings and bring to boil in pan.
- Drop sliced onions and jalapeños in liquid and turn heat off.
- Let sit for 30 minutes and then add ice to cool.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.