Brazilian Pastel Pastry with Smoked Sausage and Chimichurri
- 12 ¾ oz. plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cachaça or vodka
- 5 fl. oz. milk
- 2 fl. oz. olive oil
- 1 lb. Smoked Sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 4 oz. red onion, ¼ inch dice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, ¼ inch dice
- 1 poblano pepper, ¼ inch dice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 oz. butter
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 oz. chopped green olives
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 6 fl. oz. extra virgin olive oil
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Appetizer, Sandwich
- For dough, pour flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in center and pour in oil, Cachaça, and milk. Mix ingredients well.
- On a floured surface, knead dough vigorously for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to a bowl, cover with towel, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a pasta machine or rolling pin, flatten dough to .3 centimeters thick. Cover with plastic wrap.
- For filling, cook sausage in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add onions, garlic, peppers, and cook until tender.
- Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and butter. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add remainder of ingredients. Let cool.
- Place mixture on dough sheet and top with another dough sheet. Cut into squares.
- For chimichurri, combine parsley, cilantro, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper in a food processor. Pulse until almost smooth and season with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce to a bowl and pour olive oil over mixture. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Fry pastels in 350°F oil until golden brown and crispy. Garnish pastels with paprika, scallions, and herbs. Serve with chimichurri.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.