Smoked Sausage Gumbo
- 1 lb Smithfield Smoked Sausage
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 yellow onion, medium-diced
- 4 stalks celery, medium-diced
- 1 green bell pepper, medium-diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning blend
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups dark beer
- 2 Tbsp Tabasco
- 2 cups chopped frozen okra
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- White Rice
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
Dish Type:Entrée, Soup/Salad
- Medium-dice sausage, and place in large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until well browned on all sides.
- Place canola oil and flour in large pot. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until dark brown, the color of chocolate.
- Add in onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and Cajun seasoning. Sweat for approximately 2 minutes till vegetables soften.
- Add in chicken stock, beer and hot sauce. Whisk constantly until mixture is smooth and thickens.
- Add in okra, browned sausage, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowl over White Rice. Sprinkle with sliced scallions to serve.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.