Smoked Sausage and Shrimp Pot Pie
- Pie Crust (recipe follows)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb 41/50 shrimp
- 4 oz Smoked Sausage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2-5 Tbsp cold water
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out chilled Pie Crust on lightly floured surface to a little less than 1/8 -inch thick. Use it to line 2 6-inch deep dish pie pans, and then trim off excess with sharp knife.
- Put extra virgin olive oil in pot, and sauté shrimp, sausage, carrots, peas, celery and onions until vegetables are lightly softened.
- Add butter and flour, and whisk until roux is formed. Continue to cook slightly until light golden brown.
- Add all other ingredients, and bring to simmer while whisking.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Pour mixture into pie dishes, and top each pie with remaining dough.
- Make several slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown, and then cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- In food processor, pulse together flour, honey and salt.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cold water.
- Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (add more if necessary).
- Form dough into disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.