Caramelized Onion and Port Wine Sauce
- 10 large sweet yellow onions, cut into eighths
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups pork stock
- 2 2/3 cups port wine
- 5 cups heavy cream
- Osso Buco
Dish Type:Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
- Season onions with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in skillet; add onion and cook over medium-high heat until browned and tender.
- Stir in vinegar, pork stock and wine. Cook over medium heat until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cream; season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat about 10 minutes to reduce slightly.
- To serve, ladle 4 ounces sauce on plate. Stand heated Osso Buco in center of sauce and drizzle additional 2 ounces sauce over top.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.