Pork Flat Iron Warm Salad
- 4 oz. kosher or sea salt
- 2 oz. granulated sugar
- 2 oz. whole juniper berries
- 1 oz. whole allspice
- 1 oz. black pepper
- 1 oz. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 oz. fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 oz. fresh bay leaves
- 1 whole garlic (peel all cloves)
- 4 pieces of Pork Flat Iron
- 2 quarts extra virgin olive oil
Product:Pork Flat Iron
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- In a stainless steel mixing bowl combine the salt, sugar, juniper berries, allspice, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and garlic cloves.
- In a non-reactive pan place Pork Flat Iron and the blended seasoning mixture. Rub the Pork Flat Iron with the seasoning mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place another pan on top of the seasoned pork Flat Iron along with a heavy weight. Place the pans into the refrigerator and allow curing for one day.
- On the following day remove the Pork Flat Iron from the refrigerator and under cold running water wash off the seasoning. Remove all excess water by using a dry towel.
- In a heavy bottom pot place the extra virgin olive oil and the cured Pork Flat Iron. Place this mixture onto a low flame. Allow the oil to arrive at 200°F. The cooking time is clearly dependent on the required doneness. I suggest an internal temperature of 135°F.
- Remove the cooked Pork Flat Iron from the extra virgin olive oil and allow to rest in a warm place until needed for service. Slice thin and arrange onto a plate along with desired salad options.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.