Maple-Brined Double-Cut Pork Chop
Brined Pork Chops
- 4 double-cut pork chops cut from Rack of Pork
- Maple Brine (recipe follows)
- 1 qt. apple cider or apple juice
- 1.5 oz. maple syrup
- 2.5 oz. kosher salt
- 0.5 oz. fresh sage leaves
- 1 oz. fresh rosemary
- 5 bay leaves
- 4 cups ice
Skillet Hoe Cakes
- 7 oz. coarse yellow cornmeal
- 8 oz. all-purpose flour
- 1.5 oz. granulated sugar
- 5 oz. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp. whole butter
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 star anise pod
Product:Rack of Pork
- In each of 2 gallon-sized re-sealable bags, place 2 pork chops and half Maple Brine.
- Brine in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, ideally overnight, up to 12 hours.
- Remove from brine and pat chops dry.
- Cook pork chops either in oven or on grill until desired temperature.
- In medium sauce pot, add all ingredients except ice and bring to simmer.
- Pour brine over ice and allow to cool.
Skillet Hoe Cakes
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in medium bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients except clarified butter and whole butter in another bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones and mix well.
- Fold in clarified butter. In 2-inch cast iron skillet, melt whole butter over medium heat.
- For each hoe cake, add 4-oz. ladle of hoe cake batter and cook until edges are set, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place in oven and cook until almost set, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, flip cake over and let rest 1 minute.
- On mandoline fitted with medium teeth, julienne both types of apples.
- Cut fennel bulb in half, remove dry outer layer and core.
- Thinly slice fennel and add to apples.
- Add lemon juice, oil and salt, and mix with slaw.
- Melt sugar in water in saucepan over low heat.
- Simmer until lightly caramelized.
- Gradually add vinegar (which will spatter furiously) and stir.
- Add anise and bring to simmer. Remove from heat, cool, strain and reserve.
- For each serving, place 1 hoe cake in center of 10-inch plate.
- Slice pork chop into 5 slices and lay shingled slightly off center of hoe cake.
- Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. Cider Gastrique per plate. Top with Apple-Fennel slaw.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.