Mini Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuits
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 3-oz. Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 12 quail eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. sliced white cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. Blackberry Jam (recipe to follow)
- 12 Buttermilk Biscuits (recipe to follow)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 9 oz. butter (cold and cut into small cubes)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 pints blackberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 lemon plus zest
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In large sauté pan with 1 tsp. oil, sear both sides of sausage patties until golden brown.
- While sausage is cooking, in nonstick skillet over medium heat, gently cook quail eggs sunny-side up in 2 tsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place sausage patties on sheet pan and top with sliced cheddar. Place in oven to melt cheese.
- Spread Blackberry Jam on each cut side of biscuits.
- For each plate, place sausage on bottom of biscuit and top with quail egg. Rest top biscuit on the side of the built biscuit.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add in cold butter and mix using a pastry cutter (note: do not overmix).
- Mix in buttermilk gently until dough comes together.
- Roll onto floured surface, folding over dough 4-5 times to create layering.
- Cut biscuits with 2-inch cutter, and place on sheet pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Brush melted butter over biscuits.
- Bake in a 450°F convection oven until golden brown.
- In mixing bowl, toss berries with sugar. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- In small sauce pot, add berries, lemon juice and splash of water.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add lemon zest.
- Refrigerate until needed.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.