Parmesan Grits with Soppressata and Tomato Gravy
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup grits
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper, to taste
Soppressata and Tomato Gravy:
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 6 oz. Soppressata, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. fresh herbs (parsley, basil)
- Bring milk and butter to simmer in medium pot. Slowly whisk in grits to incorporate. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until grits are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add diced Soppressata and cook for 2 minutes to slightly render and flavor oil. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add onions to pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add butter to pan and allow to melt.
- Add flour to butter mixture and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in tomato puree and milk and cook until mixture comes to simmer. (Add more milk if gravy seems too thick.) Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Place Grits in serving bowl, top with Soppressata and Tomato Gravy, and garnish with fresh herbs.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.