Roasted Pork Po’ Boy with Whole Grain Mustard Aioli & House Pickles
- 4 fresh split-top po’ boy buns
- 12 oz. Roasted & Seared Pork Shoulder, broken up a little bit by hand
- 1 loosely-packed cup picked parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise (store-bought or housemade)
- ¼ cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Pickles (this will yield more than you need for this particular recipe, but they’re pickles, so they’ll keep):
- 1 head cauliflower, broken up into small florets (looking for small bite-sized)
- 4 pieces celery, large diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds & stem removed, large diced
- 4 small carrots, peeled and large diced
- 2 ½ cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 5 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seed
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
Dish Type:Entrée, Sandwich
- In a pot, bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, mustard seed and chili flakes to a boil. Whisk to ensure that the sugar and salt are fully dissolved and incorporated.
- Pour hot pickling liquid directly over raw vegetables. Cover (weigh the vegetables down with something to ensure that they are all fully submerged) and allow to marinate at least 24 hours. If you prefer your pickles to have less bite (or if you’d like to make these pickles more quickly), blanch each of your vegetables individually until fork tender, and then marinate with the pickling liquid. If you pre-blanch, the pickles will be ready far more quickly.
- Combine all ingredients and season to taste.
- Warm the pork gently, either in a pan or on the plancha. Toss with aioli and picked parsley.
- Toast the buns lightly, just to warm throughout so they are nice and soft.
- Pile the bottom of the buns with the pork mixture, so that it is overflowing slightly. Top with pickles and top of buns.
Note: For this recipe, the pickles need to be made in advance; however, having that done means the pick-up here is a breeze. If you’d rather use a store-bought pickle or giardiniera, that would make this recipe even easier.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.