Southern Pork Stew
- 5 lb. Farmland by Smithfield® Extra Meaty Pork Neck Bones, thawed
- 1 gallon cold water
- 2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 3 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups 1/2-inch thick sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Product:Pork Neck Bones
- Rinse neck bones; combine with water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 3/4 cup onion and 1 tablespoon garlic in large pot. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Remove neck bones from liquid; set aside. Strain liquid to remove any bones; pour liquid back into large pot. Add remaining 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 3/4 cup onion, 1 tablespoon garlic, potatoes and carrots; stir. Remove meat from neck bones; add back to stew.
- Stir 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch together. Add to pot and continue cooking over low heat for 1 hour or until desired thickness is reached.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.