Ham Hocks with Collard Greens
- 2 Smoked Ham Hocks
- 1.5 tablespoons minced garlic divided
- 2 teaspoons sweet yellow onion finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. collard greens, washed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Balsamic vinegar
Dish Type:Entrée, Side Dish
- Place ham hocks, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes in stock pot. Cover with water; bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- In large skillet, cook onion and remaining 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until transparent and tender. Set aside.
- Add collard greens to stock pot with hocks and continue to cook 45 minutes or until tender. Add more water if needed.
- Remove ham hocks to serving plate. Add sautéed onions, white vinegar, and sugar to collard greens; cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon collards onto plates. Top with ham hock and drizzle with balsamic vinegar to taste.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.