Ham Steak Stack
- 1 baking potato, washed, cut into shoestrings
- 8 whole eggs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 Ham Steak, cut into 8 pieces, roughly 2″ x 2″
- 4 rectangle 2″ x 3″ pieces of Cornbread (recipe to follow)
- 1 cup Red Eye Gravy (recipe to follow)
- 1 cup baby arugula, washed, stems picked
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 pound butter, melted
Red Eye Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 cup beef stock
- Heat fryer to 325°F. Fry shoestring potatoes, until light golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, add about 2 tablespoons of cold water, pinch of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick griddle or saute pan, add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and sear the ham steak pieces until golden on each side and heated through.
- While ham is heating, heat a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil, add the eggs and lightly scramble.
- Warm cornbread in a 350° oven for 2 minutes.
- To build: Place one piece of Cornbread on each serving plate, top with two slices of griddled ham. Drizzle about 2 ounces of Red Eye Gravy over ham on each plate. Divide scrambled eggs into four portions and top each dish with eggs. Toss the arugula with the red wine vinegar and olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper, divide on top of each dish. Sprinkle shoestring potatoes on top of each plate.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Add in buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda and sugar. Fold in the eggs and buttermilk mix. Fold in the melted butter.
- Spread into half sheet pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating once halfway thru. Check that center is set. Remove and allow to cool before cutting.
Red Eye Gravy
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and combine to form a paste, cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in coffee, reduce slightly. Whisk in beef stock, reduce slightly until thickened.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.