Pork Belly over Chickpea Stew and Rice with Coconut Chutney and Potato Curry
- 4 Tbsp. oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ginger & garlic paste
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 2 small cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin & coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp. tamarind paste
- Salt, to taste or as required
- 2 14-oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained
- Cilantro leaves and lemon juice, for garnish
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1.25 lb. Pork Belly
- Potato Curry (recipe to follow)
- 6 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- Few sprigs cilantro
- ½ cup Coconut Chutney (recipe to follow)
- 1½ Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 1.5-inch piece ginger, peeled
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallots
- Few sprigs curry leaves
- 4 serrano peppers, chopped
- 6 medium-size Idaho Potatoes, diced
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- ¾ cup grated fresh coconut
- 4-5 serrano peppers, roughly chopped
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp. water
DetailsPork Belly brands offered: Farmland, Farmland Smoke’NFast, Smithfield Culinary DURoC
- To make chickpea stew, heat oil in pressure cooker or pot,. Once heated, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Once they release their fragrance and cumin seeds begin to pop, add onions. Cook till they are golden-brown.
- Then add chopped garlic and ginger & garlic paste. Mix well and add tomato paste; pinçage.
- Add stewed tomatoes. Mix well and allow to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add all dry spices, mix well and wait for oil to separate from sides.
- Finally, add drained garbanzo beans.
- Cover pot and allow mixture to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice.
- To start assembling bowl, cut pork belly into 2.5-inch square. Sear well.
- Place cooked rice in bowl, putting seared pork belly on top. Top bowl with chickpea stew, Potato Curry, garnishes and dollop of Coconut Chutney.
- Heat coconut oil.
- Add ginger and shallots, along with curry leaves and peppers and cook till caramelized.
- Cook diced potatoes till done.
- In separate pan, cook coconut milk till it thickens. Fold rest of ingredients in and serve hot.
- Grind all ingredients to smooth consistency.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.