Pork Neck Bone Italian Gravy
- 5 lb. Pork Neck Bones, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (29-oz.) can tomato puree
- 1 (29-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 qts water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper
- Crushed red pepper
Product:Pork Neck Bones
Dish Type:Entrée, Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
- Rinse neck bones and pat dry. Combine salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper; season neck bones.
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Brown neck bones on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes; remove from pot.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sauté onion, bell pepper and minced garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not brown. Add wine to pan; deglaze by scraping browned bits of meat and vegetables from bottom of pan. Cook and stir until wine is reduced by half.
- Add tomato puree, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar and Italian seasoning. Return browned neck bones to pot. Cook until sauce just begins to boil; lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Remove pork neck bones from sauce. Let cool 10 to15 minutes. Remove meat from bones and shred; add back to sauce. Add salt, black and red pepper to taste. Continue cooking over low heat until desired thickness is reached. Serve over pasta.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.